Hitbox, frames, lag...
If you know what these words mean you're a hardcore gamer if not you're a casual gamer. These terms specifically pertain to fighting games and are particularly important at the competition level.
Joining a fighting games club, its expected that these is a bit of technical jargon and a higher level in terms of technique. But 15 hours of straight to understand the underpinnings of each character is something else. At some point a hobby becomes work.
Most people would call themselves a casual gamer picking up a controller for an hour of paly but now that distinction is changing. With the advent of the Wii, family games are quickly chainging and enlarging the demographic of gamers.
Some say its good because it is expanding the media form to a larger audience. Others say it is ruining the market in videogames as it shifts from the few focused games for the hardcore to the dozens of budget games catering to the larger market of casual gamers.
Sunday, April 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
I'm not into video games, but I still enjoyed this post. If I decide to do some fighting games, I'll know where to go.
And I definately love the Ninjabread Man
I agree that with Wii games have become much more casual to expand the consumer market. For the Wii, I think it's great. It seems to have been created for that reasons. But, casual gamers aren't buying Xbox 360s or PS3s. I don't think those are threatened at all by it.
I have yet to play wii but i hear it is fun. When i see the commercials for it, they promote it as family entertainment rather than the usual boys playing against each other. and the ninjabread man looks hilarious!
yeah, ninjabread man is dope. Of course the Wii was developed for families, it's so multi-player oriented. Plus it's made by nintendo, they sort of have a history of childrens/family games. Aren't the 360 and PS3 games more hardcore gamer oriented?
Hey, that ginger bread man game looks fun.
how many hours a day do you spend playing games?
I love Wii because you don't have to know all the tricks and cheatcodes to win. The Ninjabread man is awesome! lol
hmmm....I think you found a very cute picture of ninjabread man! haha! I'm not a huge gamer..the only thing I own is a nintendo DS and I hardly ever play that...but I've got some friends who are really addcited to video games. I have a 30-year-old friend that plays Halo on Friday nights till 5 in the morning...
I play games about 0-3 hours a week depending on the time alloted
Post a Comment